Mast and rigging survey
Pre-purchase surveys include the mast and rigging from the deck. Internally the maststep, compression, tie rods and shroud plates.
A rig inspection aloft is recommended prior to offshore navigation. We can provide this service or arrange a riggers inspection.
Condition of standing rigging for insurance
Factors affecting insurance are the age, use and condition.
Industry norm for cruising yachts is 10 years, less for racing yachts and multihulls, at the discretion of a rigger and underwriter.
Scope of a rig inspection and report
- identification, masthead, fractional, sloop, ketch or multihull
- aluminium, carbon or timber masts, furlers, boom, gooseneck
- in-line, aft-swept, diamond, superior and inferior spreaders
- keel/deck step, compression, tie rods, shroud plates, fastenings
- SS 1×19, dyform, rod or synthetic, continuous or discontinuous
- turnbuckles, swage terminals, bow, backstay and shroud plates
- masthead, spreader, shroud fittings, terminals, lights, aerials
- running rigging, halyards, topping lifts, reefing and control lines
Rigged mainsail and jib are normally raised on trial. The sail wardrobe is usually identified only, and a sail makers inspection recommended.